Monday, December 6, 2010

Picture that recipe!

I like to experiment with foods!  Many times, I choose recipes because there is no image of it on a site, or I have created the recipe and am getting a 1st picture.  I often change the ingredients to ones that my family enjoys and will eat.  For instance, I usually use whole wheat flour, not white.  I use soy or almond milk instead of cow's milk.

Here are the recipes I made during the 1st week of December 2010.  All of this week's recipes were found on Allrecipes, a great place to find recipes, join the "buzz", and post comments!  None of these recipes had images  until I posted photos!


Spiced Naan


This easy to make bread is filled with chopped onions, raisins and coconut that are cooked in a spicy blend of seasonings.  I used whole wheat flour to make the bread dough.  This made 4 servings.  Next time, I think I will make 8 smaller bread pockets!



http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spiced-Naan/Detail.aspx


 

 Spicy Potato Noodles (Bataka Sev)

The next day I made this potato/chickpea flour pasta seasoned with hot pepper, ginger and garlic.  It is supposed to be fried, but I don't like fried food.  I chose to cook this like gnocchi, by shaping the dough into 1/2" logs, and slicing off small bits.  Then, the pieces took a bath in boiling water until they started to float.  This recipe called for salt, but I wanted the intense flavor of the flavorings to remain.  I opted not to use any salt for this recipe. Mustard oil is called for, but I only had canola oil; next time I will try to find the hotter, spicier oil!  I really enjoyed these flavorful Spicy Potato Noodles!

 http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Potato-Noodles-Bataka-Sev/Detail.aspx

 

 Moroccan Potato Bean Soup

This is a hot, spicy, sinus clearing soup!  I used a sweet potato instead of a white potato, as you can see by the orange chunks in the photo!  White kidney beans are called for, but I had navy pea beans on hand, so I used those. Instead of using milk and cream, I used soy milk.


Once I accustomed my taste buds to the very peppery taste, I enjoyed this!


http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moroccan-Potato-Bean-Soup/Detail.aspx






Ginger Shortbread Wedges

 I used whole wheat instead of white flour when creating this shortbread.  I also sprinkle 2 T chopped candied ginger on the top before baking.  I pricked cutting lines with a fork, supposedly for easier cutting into wedges after baking, but they had mostly filled in during the baking process!  Instead of separating this recipe into 8 portions, I made 12 wedges.  I love ginger, and I love shortbread, so this was a winning recipe!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ginger-Shortbread-Wedges/Detail.aspx

                    

Simply Sesames

These tasty little gems are a sesame seed, coconut, and pecan slice-and-bake shortbread.  They have a delightful flavor that I could not have imagined until I started nibbling them!

The original recipe called for almonds, but since pecans are much easier to get where I live, I opted to use them!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Simply-Sesames/Detail.aspx

 


My goal for the month of December is to average 1 new recipe a day!  In the 1st 5 days of December, I met that goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment